Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Beckhams Arrive

I was totally prepared to hate the reality special on Victoria Beckham last night. I've never been interested in her or her husband. Between them they share 1% body fat and I'm being generous. The word was that the proposed 6 episode series was cut down to just one special since interest in these two has been minimal here in L.A. And if it's minimal here, just go home since this is the town that makes people famous. The Beckhams hit New York years ago in an effort to gain American popularity but it didn't work and they crawled back to the U.K. If L.A. likes them, they're in. But do we have room out here for more publicity whores? Pretty much.

But since I'm a fashionista I was hooked immediately. The Brits always trump us in fashion icons. See Princess Diana, Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Naomi Campbell. Just keeping up with Posh's dizzying display of sunglasses was an effort. And the shoes. Lord, the shoes. Some of them made me cry they were so incredible. And the way she tied that scarf around her neck when she met with Perez Hilton? Genius.

The best part of the show, for me, was the segment taken at my friend Suzan Hughes' house in Beverly Hills. Suzan is the former wife of Herbalife founder Mark Hughes. She's the one who had the Beverly Hills Ladies Lunch. Suzan is a Scorpio, like me, and very funny although she's still in denial about all the plastic surgery she's had. When Posh walked into Suzan's overdone, and not in a good way, house you could see she was as shocked as the rest of us have been when we've been to Suzan's. She lives in an 8 million dollar home and if there was more gold or gilt, Louis XVI would come out of his grave to marry her.

UPDATE: When I first posted this, Suzan's assistant called and asked me to take out the parts about Suzan's plastic surgery. He said he had worked for her for 4 years and never seen a HINT of surgery. I guess he needs his eyes checked. I've known her for over 13 years and hello? I have EYES. The assistant said I would be invited to all her End Of Season parties. I was not invited so guess what? Seriously, honor your word or get the fuck out. 1/25/08

The Hughes Family picture from one of their annual Christmas cards and before all of Suzan's plastic surgery.

Also, if you looked closely at Suzan's guests, you could see the still gorgeous Marla Maples, Donald Trump's second wife, at that party. No plastic surgery and unbelievably, no man in her life. This is a tough town.

Very tough.

End of chat.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED that show- fell in love with her where as before I couldn't stand her- and her husband is a freakign to die for hunk of man. HOLY SHIT. I can't believe there will be no more. I think this would have been better than the Newlyweds show- way better! She has a spunkier personality- I LOVED the blow up doll thing. LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:49 PM

    I ignored all other "Posh & Beck's" articles on the web like they were bread and I was Dr. Atkins. Not because I wasn't interested, but because I knew your post would be the best one... You didn't disappoint.

    --Abeyta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Abeyta, that's the nicest compliment coming from you. Thank you. I mean it.

    Now, what do you want?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:43 PM

    A one way ticket to Paris, as I just saw "Sicko."

    --Abeyta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see the show, and yes I only have a vague idea who these people are. Help, I lead a sheltered life. I guess I could just watch more TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:17 PM

    Dear Suzy,

    This is the assistant who you so eloquently suggested needs to "get his eyes checked."

    It is unfortunate that your flawed thought process led you to believe that you were left off the guest list of Suzan's parties. Hopefully you will find solace in the fact that you weren't invited because Suzan didn't have any parties. SO, despite your internal struggle to the contrary, you were not snubbed.

    The plastic surgery remarks needed to be removed because they are not only tasteless and catty; they also do nothing to legitimize the rancorous and superficial tone of your piece.

    I regret asking you to revise your piece because I failed to remember that tabloid pieces are never filled with facts. I must say that I found it amusing that my attempt to remove some of the venom from your piece resulted in even more spewing of venom; perhaps magnifying your true character.

    I find it fascinating that you consider yourself a "friend" of Suzan's in one sentence then a few sentences later you manage to insult her and her home.

    I hope you aren't still expecting an invitation. The higher social strata of Beverly Hills believe in kindness and decency and if I were you I wouldn't expect an invitation from anyone who has read your article. After all, who would trust to invite someone into their private life or home when they risk being insulted in a tacky web article the next day?

    I wish you all the best in your endeavors and hope that one day your writing will reflect the kind of person I imagine you to be; kind, classy, positive, endearing, beautiful and moral...and I would like to remain in denial about one thing; that your writing does not reflect the kind of person you really are.

    ReplyDelete